Today is Gratitude Day. I’ve always loved writing down things I’m grateful for and then looking back at the happy memories later. It also helps you focus on the positive things in your life when things aren’t so grand. Taking a moment to reflect on the good things in life helps make me a happier person. Here are a few good things from this weekend and today:
I took a 3 day long weekend and was off yesterday. I’m grateful for all the rest I got (up to 12 hours of sleep in one night!) And I’m glad to have a shorter work week as a result. I’m grateful for the sunny days I enjoyed and for the quiet and peacefulness of the mountains which I love so much. I enjoyed finding the one apple on the new apple tree – it was really yummy. I’m grateful for neighbors that let us eat some of the pears on their tree – double yummy. Plus we made homemade blizzards this weekend that were just as good as Dairy Queen. (Enjoy those summer perks while you still can.)
A list of things I’m grateful for today:
- That I work indoors out of the heat.
- That I have a job where I work at my own pace.
- I’m glad I remember to get my stuff ready the night before so I don’t have to rush in the morning. ( I like having time to wake-up before work.)
- I’m glad I’ve updated my book list this week so I know which books to get from the library. (I’m a big book lover so having a list of what you need in each series is essential!)
- I’m happy to have accomplished a bunch of to-do items this weekend.
- I’m super-excited that tomorrow is the start of fall. Summer’s great, but I love that cool, crisp fall air, the changing leaves and drinking hot cocoa when it’s chilly.
- I’m glad I’m learning to practice relaxing more and not letting problems affect how I feel. (Though I have to practice this one a lot.)
- I’m grateful my dog in is good health even though she’s 14 years old.
- I’m glad I get to listen to a variety of music every day. With my MP3 player and satellite TV I can be as eclectic as I want.
- And so on. . .
And yes, much of this stuff are things I was grateful for before. But isn’t it nice when you can just sit down and think for a few minutes and come up with a list of things to be happy about? It definitely improves my mood and perspective. Plus there’s always a few things you forgot about or didn’t mention that you think of later. That’s like bonus happiness points. Gratitude Day reminds us that we really do have a lot to be happy about, if only we sit down and take a minute to appreciate it.