Welcome to the middle of World Kindness Week! I am so happy to be able to share thoughts and ideas on kindness with all of you. When I became aware of the fact that there are organizations and web sites dedicated solely to expanding, promoting and encouraging kindness, I was amazed and impressed. In the face of the stress, busyness and rush of everyday life, there are many caring and thoughtful people who take the time to make the world a little bit brighter.
Like me, you may want to put more kindness into the world, but you don’t always know where to start. Luckily, I have found that even the smallest gesture is appreciated. No matter how busy we are or how little money we may have, there are many different ways to express kindness to others.
We can share a kind word, make a telephone call, help someone with a package, or visit a sick friend. We can be more patient while driving, forgive someone who has hurt us, comfort someone in pain or give a smile to a weary shopper. There are so many wonderful ideas to try; here are just a few I’ve picked up from my favorite kindness sites:
- Donate a percentage of your profits to a favorite charity.
- Collect cans and goods for an area food bank.
- Bring in a funny balloon for a coworker.
- Bake cookies for your neighbor.
- Write a note of appreciation to your children’s teacher, your mechanic, or the UPS man who always delivers packages with a smile.
- List the many ways your mother or father has positively influenced your life and send it to them on their birthday.
- Pick up trash at the park.
- Pay for the person behind you at the movies.
- Buy toys for the children at the shelter or safe house.
- Invite someone new over for dinner.
- Hand out “kindness citations” for people caught doing good deeds.
- Buy some soup for a homeless person standing in the cold.
- Organize a sing-along at a senior center.
- Create a family photo-calendar for busy family members.
- Leave extra money in a vending machine for the next person.
- Compliment a stranger.
- Write something nice about your waiter on the back of the bill.
- Donate food, leashes, blankets and other necessities to the animal shelter.
There are so many more fantastic ideas, I could just keep going and going. Here are a few more great links to keep the kindness flowing:
I want to THANK all of my readers, old and new for sharing their thoughts and ideas with me. It’s been a real joy for me to share my ideas on happiness, joy, laughter and fun with all of you. Have a wonderful week!