Bright eyes and a warm smile. . . by lapidim
I always enjoy spending time with family, but there are times when the generation gap is a little too big. So if like me, you’d like to include the whole clan in your next adventure, here are a few ideas that everyone can enjoy:
- Playgrounds. Playgrounds are a good bet for all ages because there’s always a lot of laughter and energy there. Often they include a lake or walking path, and most are level and easy to walk around. This is a good spot to gather for a picnic or a barbeque as well.
- Museums. Museums are filled with history, art, technology, fashion and past fads and fascinating inventions. They are cool in the summer and warm in the winter, and best of all they are constantly being updated with new exhibits. Odds are there is a great historical, educational and inspiring museum in your area. Check out Museum Spot to search for one in your city or state.
- Pictures. Taking them or sharing them, pictures are fun for everyone. Have your child teach their grandparents how to use a digital camera. Charge your batteries and have a contest to see who can take the most unique picture of the day. Or go through photo albums and talk about funny things from the past. Pictures are worth a thousand words.
- Carnivals, Fairs and Festivals. From the yearly state fair with their huge Ferris wheel and Tilt-A-Whirl, to the local Blueberry Festival down the street, there’s something for everyone. You can walk, shop, eat, listen to live bands and get some exercise while you do. With the many seasonal events, there’s likely one for every week of the year.
- Food fun. Every one loves to eat. (At least everyone I know.) So fun with food is a no-brainer. Whether you bake a batch of cookies together, visit an ice cream parlor for a creamy treat, or have a backyard barbeque, food is fun at any age.
- Zoos and aquariums. Like fairs and museums, zoos and aquariums are full of interesting things – namely animals. In every shape, size and color imaginable. From far away lands, and hard to reach places, you’ll see creatures you’ve never seen before. There are furry ones, feathered ones, slithery ones, and ones that swim. They are colorful and noisy, cute and cuddly, and lots of fun to watch. Take your loved one for a visit today.
Music: Listening to songs and singing, playing the piano or guitar, or going to a concert.
Games: Kids and adults alike can play board games such as Monopoly, Sorry, Risk or Clue, card games like Go Fish and Rummy, and old classics like “Red Light, Green Light” and “Mother May I?”