On Any Given Sunday by John-Morgan
Ready or not ladies, football season is back. Men all over the country sit glued to their television sets for hours at a time, immersed in every toss of the ball. Completely unaware of the passing of time, news of the day, or any person beyond the vicinity of the living room.
But that’s no reason to despair. There is plenty of good news for women whose men are mentally, physically or emotionally unavailable. Time is once again your friend. The day is yours for the taking. Uninterrupted bliss awaits. Whether serious or fun, now is the chance for:
- Nap Time! This is what you’ve been waiting for. A moment when there is no hammering, mowing, or other noisy interruptions. Now you have at least a four-hour stretch of free time. Take a hot bubble bath, put on some candles and music, then take a leisurely nap. There’s nothing like ME time.
- Less Cooking. Another happy benefit of game day is the fact that you don’t have to do any cooking unless you want to. Get him some beer or soda, chips and dip and have pizza delivered and you’re done for the day. Catch up on your reading, watch some movies you’ve been waiting to see or whatever other fun thing you’ve been missing.
- Shop Till You Drop. Get your purse, call a friend, and hit the road for an all-day sales bonanza. While he’s glued to the TV you are free to hit as many stores and shops as your poor little feet can handle. Totally unfettered by time restrictions or unwanted male opinions. It’s great to be a woman!
- Home Improvement Projects. While men think they are the only ones who know how to correctly paint a wall or hang a picture, we love to do those small touches that make a house a home. Now is the time to visit Home Depot, Lowes or your other favorite store to find the lighting, curtains, or area rugs you love. Without all the long lines.
- Long Chats. There’s never enough time to stay in touch with everyone you want to. Take advantage of this disturbance-free time zone to call your mother, sister, or best friend. Chat away without fear of time limits or sighs of impatience.
- Do Some Girlie Things. Color your hair, have a pedicure, get a facial – or better yet a massage! Watch a movie that makes you cry – without the guilt. Do some aromatherapy with a great lotion, scented shampoo, candles or air freshener. Is your favorite scent gardenia, lavender or rose?
- Spiritual Awareness. There are times when you long to be alone. A chance to meditate, pray, or have some quiet time to talk to God. Whether you go to church or stay home, this is a perfect opportunity for the peace and stillness you seek.
- Do Something Silly. Dance and sing while pretending to be your favorite rock star, build an ice cream man with peanuts, M&M’s, and a chocolate smile, or go on cute overload and look at all those emails of playful puppies, kitties and adorable babies until you’re smiling from ear to ear. Have fun!
- Connect With Nature. Take a walk and see how many birds you can spot. Plant some late-blooming flowers in containers on the porch. Take your dog to the park or drive to the mountains for some fall color.
- Join Him. The best thing about guys and football, is when they want you to share, you only have to be in the same room. Set up your scrapbook or photo album to organize as you watch. You don’t have to pay much attention, as long as you cheer when the touchdown or field goal is scored (for the right team of course). You don’t both have to do the same thing to enjoy your time together. :0)