I told her a joke by Zanastardust
Browsing around the Internet I came across this title on a greeting card web site. Attic Salt Greetings has hilarious cards that combine humorous pictures of people with great funny lines. But the truth is their words “life is too short not to laugh out loud.”
For unknown reasons, I love to laugh and have a good time. I enjoy a good snicker or snort, and I’ve been known to chuckle and giggle at times. However my favorite expression of enjoyment is a full-out belly laugh! You know, those kind where you just pray you didn’t just have a drink or eat any food, because you can’t contain the laughter and that milk (or soda) might come shooting out of your nose.
Okay, thankfully that type of bodily loss of control doesn’t happen too often. But I have definitely had moments where I laughed so hard I couldn’t breathe. Even better have been those delightfully precious moments where I was bored, sad or angry and some unexpected bit of humor caused me to laugh for 20 minutes straight. You know what I’m talking about, where the person who’s with you, whether they get the humor or not, starts laughing as well because laughter is so contagious.
We all need all the hilarity we can handle. I myself have been through some tough times lately, where I’ve wondered if there are really any good people left. I have been hurt by friends and family alike, as well as complete strangers, and it leaves me feeling betrayed, sad and lonely. After I get past that pain, it makes me angry. And this is a good anger. The kind that says “You can’t keep my down. Life is good even if you’re not, and I’m going to enjoy every gosh-darned precious moment of it! – – So there!”
Laughter is a healer and a rejuvenator. After a good hearty laugh, the world seems lighter and fresher. You can think again, and hope returns. You believe that maybe, just maybe, life will be okay once more.
So how can get more of this valuable commodity? Luckily resources abound. Here are some of my favorite tips:
- Surround yourself with funny. Funny friends, funny books, funny things. Whether you love comedies like Better Off Dead, The Princess Bride, Office Space, or Sponge Bob Squarepants, or you just like watching World’s Stupidest Criminals on reality TV, there’s always something to make you smile.
- Keep a Cheer Box or Funny File. When you find those jokes, cartoons, tips and ideas that inspire you and make you giggle and snicker – keep them. Put them all together in a box or file so you can easily find it when you need a good laugh. Add fun toys like a talking Yoda from Star Wars, or bubbles, finger paints and some crayons to create playful masterpieces.
- Music is a must. I’ve never met a person that didn’t like some type of music. Heavy metal, pop favorites, Motown classics, or Radio Disney. Put on nature sounds like singing birds or ocean waves, or bang your head to some rock n’ roll. Match the music to your mood.
- Research. Whenever you need to find the funny, look for children. They know all about it. Ever put a child into their room for punishment and come back to find them having imaginary wars between the stick people and the car people who are battling on Pillow mountain? That kind of zest and fun will motivate you to loosen up and let go. Don’t be so serious.
- Get Funky. Do something completely silly. Write a love letter that compares your dear one to Snoopy, Garfield or another beloved character. Use the table to conduct your own drum solo – especially if you’re not a drummer. Play in the mud, make up your own language or wear polka dot socks with a stripped shirt and shorts. Use your imagination and have fun.
So what makes you laugh? One major key to adding humor to your life is finding out what you think is funny. And no, you don’t need to analyze it to find out why. Isn’t it enough that it makes you feel good?
Sometimes the only sense you can make out of life is a sense of humor!
The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain!
For more visit these links:
Helpguide.org Brining More Humor and Laughter Into Our Lives.
U Comics – Best Comic Site in the World.
David Letterman Top Ten Archive
Humor University Articles
19 Unusual Stress-Busting Tips
Every Day Perks Not to be Missed
10 Unusual Ways to Have Fun Cleaning
9 Tips to Turn Laziness Into an Advantage
Increasing Happiness in 2008
Read Full Post »